Sunday 26 July 2009

Next Day Delivery

26/7/09

At a recent seminar I attended, one of the points made by the speaker Rob Brown was that ‘Speed Stuns’ and I guess that in truth we all know that, but in practice things just slow us down.

Well this week I was stunned by speed – twice!

I was visiting the Hogarth chapter in Chiswick ( London ) and had offered to take a friend, who was substituting, along with me in my car as we both live in Teddington. After the meeting I was involved with the Leadership Team, so my friend went for a bit of window shopping. Unfortunately, when we arrived back at my office she discovered that she had left her diary in a bank she had popped into.

With the use of the internet and a couple of phone calls the diary was soon found. However, neither of us had time to return to Chiswick that day to recover it, and the bank couldn’t post it, but my friend needed the diary urgently as it contained the details of all of her up coming meetings. I suggested contacting a member of the Hogarth chapter and seeing if they could help.

We chose a member who had an office near to the chapter meeting place and gave them a call. The member in question said that it wouldn’t be a problem to collect the diary and post it. It was better than nothing and in a day or so the diary would be returned.

Imagine my friend's delight when early the next morning the diary arrived on her desk!

It just so happened that the same day I emailed the same Hogarth member for a couple of their company’s catalogues and a few of their business cards. The next day they too arrived on my desk.

Delivering your sales literature fast is certainly impressive, but going to the trouble to collect something for someone you hardly know and getting it delivered the next day, is something special.

We talk a great deal about credibility in BNI, about knowing, liking, and trusting someone. Well, this new Hogarth member has certainly got off to a speedy start in my book.

I mentioned Rob Brown to the member concerned and that he had talked about how speed stunned, and their credibility rose even further, as their reply was ‘only if you give the customer what they want’.

So, speed does stun and if you give your customer, or your fellow chapter member, what they want, your credibility will certainly rise.

The catalogue I asked for was a baby catalogue from Perfectly Happy People and you can contact Jane Johnstone by email at: jane@phpbaby.com

No comments: