Thursday 19 February 2009

Can another BNI member ever be a good substitute?

19/2/09

A survey was done some time ago where members were asked “If a member of your chapter could not attend a meeting, who would you like to see in their chair as a sub?”

I’m not going to run through the Top 10 now, but at number seven, was “Anyone … with a heartbeat”. And, at number eight, was another BNI member.

So, I guess you could say that the answer to my question was – No!

However, we had a BNI member from another chapter sub at our chapter last week. Sadly nothing unusual in that, apart from the fact that she didn’t present her business, as she clashed with one of our members – so, she didn’t do a 60 Seconds. In fact she didn’t really talk about her business much at all and she didn't even pass around her business cards. She was subbing for the right reason – giving to a friend.

And, it reminded me of an email that I had received some time last year. In short, the email said that a member of a chapter was looking for a sub for a very good friend of theirs, only that they themselves could not sub for the friend, because they clashed with someone in the chapter.

Now my question is, what sort of friend were they? And, I would have to say - Not a friend at all.

So, if you are asked to sub in the future, make sure that you are not just the ‘soft’ option and then ask yourself before saying yes, “Would I still say yes if I couldn’t present my business?”

The really great thing about the BNI member that subbed at our meeting last week, was that when I left she was having a One2One with the person she clashed with.

Two members that both understand what BNI is all about.

1 comment:

Amber said...

When I was in India I must have known that I was going to go for at least six weeks and, by rights, I should have suspended my membership till I came back.

I was struggling to find a sub for week 5 as I was in the middle of nowhere in India and on the last legs of the battery on my mobile.

I called Chris from B Spoked quite selfishly as I know that he loves to Sub for us at Business Class

When he agreed to fill in at last minute I rather smugly said "Well now you will have a chance to promote your services again"

He smiled (I am sure) and said

"Amber I won't be promoting my services this time as I want to take this opportunity to thank everyione at Business Class for continuing to invite me back and being so helpfull and kind"

I have never been so assuming or smug since and have gratefully accepted that people usually sub to help out and not for any self serving purposes

Thank you Chris and Christine and Daniel and Bee and Steve Thompson and .....everyone at Business Class for making them all so welcome

Amber
A Humility Warehouse Distributor