Sunday 29 November 2009

The book you don’t read won’t help you!

29/11/09

I was asked recently why I was always reading a business book and my answer was very simple: development. After all, you can always learn. Plus, the more you know the easier things becomes.

One of the benefits I find is that by reading more than one book on any given subject, I learn more. The reason is that one author will explain a subject slightly differently to another and this difference, plus the repetition, help me to fix things in my head. Even then, I can always learn more about the subject.

This reminds me of a deal I made with a member some time ago when he couldn’t see the point of going to Visitor Host training for a third time! He was a Visitor Host at the time and just couldn’t see the need of being trained yet again. So, I made him a deal. If he carried out the visitor host role perfectly at the next meeting he need not do the training. He knew that whatever he did, it could always be improved, so he attended the training without any more fuss.

While on the subject of repeat training, even if he could carry out the visit host role perfectly, why would he not want to go to the workshop and network with the other BNI members and gain possible new business?

So, every book you don’t read won’t help you, and it is the same with training; every workshop you don’t attend can’t help you or your business.

Two books that I can really recommend are The Jelly Effect by Andy Bounds and Truth or Delusion by Ivan Misner.

No comments: