Sunday 31 January 2010

A tough day at the office!

31/1/10

There are many reasons for attending our BNI workshops, so it still astounds me when both new and long term members tell me that they can’t see the value to their business. Their company training is better, (I’m not even going to comment on that), they know all they need to know, they have been before, they don’t have the time... The reasons for not attending seem almost endless!

And, this reminded me of an MST (Member Success Training) workshop I was at some months ago. One of my then Chapter Directors, David McGeachie, of Tenant Finder, was there. He almost didn’t come as he was tired and just fancied a beer. But, as he was new to the role of Chapter Director, he thought that he should make the effort and see what new members were being taught - something I think all Leadership Team members should do, not just the Chapter Director.

As at all workshops, the members present were asked to introduce themselves briefly. The members in the room ranged from those who had only been a member of their chapter for a matter of weeks, to one eight year member. One member, of just three weeks, was John Bishop, an estate agent.

During the coffee break David and John met and decided that they should meet at a later date for a coffee. John had a block of flats to rent, but they weren’t in the area local to his office, they were in an area he didn’t really know: Teddington. Yes, that is where David’s business operates!

Well, to cut a very successful story short. Tenant Finder won the contract to let the flats; a deal worth a fair amount of money. And, what’s more, David and John are still working together.

So, if you only want one good reason for attending our workshops: it’s networking. Because you never know, you might just meet your biggest customer there!

3 comments:

Paul Smith said...

David - Great post! BNI is full of successful stories like this which proves there are plenty of opportunities for members to do business - and not just within respective chapters.

Kaps said...

I attended Leadership training last October. As a result of that I picked up one of my largest BNI jobs to date.

It also put me in front of a very important management consultant.

These are my ideal strategic alliances as I can provide quick fixes to companies who need information rapidly and can't afford high end solutions. Thanks

Kaps
(Simply Spreadsheets)

Saskia Steur said...

You've made your point very clearly and I totally agree. MST's are great events to network, deepen working relationships, pick up tips and tricks and develop your networkings skills, even if you don´t pick up a nice job.