Wednesday 18 June 2008

Annoyed by talkers?

18/6/08

Have you ever felt yourself getting hot under the collar because someone at the next table is continually talking through the 60-second presentations?

And, I’m not talking here about the odd whisper to a visitor to explain what’s going on in the meeting, I’m talking about that member who talks at their normal volume as if nothing else in the room is going on.

It never fails to astound me that these people don’t realise that they are making it almost impossible for those around them to concentrate on the content of the speakers' 60-seconds being given. That they have little chance of finding referrals for their fellow members because they have no idea what the members are actually looking for.

But, the thing that really gets me, is that they don’t understand that the chances of me looking for a referral for someone that is so rude, is, well, about zero! So if you are one of the ‘talkers’ in your chapter and you often wonder why you don’t get as many referrals as you think you should – well, you may now just have the answer!

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Sadly I'm not there next week so I can't look around to see the folks who read this post sitting in mute silence.

The job of awarding the prize for best 60 seconds is a good one for keeping the attention on the important stuff.