Friday 5 September 2008

No Door Prize!

5/9/08

I'm often asked what's the point of the Door Prize and I have to say that it's one of the few occasions on which I am almost lost for words!


Why?

Well, for a start three reasons I suppose. First, because it is just a nice thing to do, second because it is a great, very simple, and inexpensive way to get someone to remember you and your company, (I know a member that still has on his desk a paper weight that he was given many years ago, and guess who he thinks about every time he moves the paper weight) and three, because it is a BNI policy - General Policy No. 8 in fact.

But, in truth it's far more than that and here's why.

I really enjoy visiting chapters and watching and listening to a good 10-minute. I always learn something about the speaker I didn't know before and most often that member, who has not really been on my radar before, suddenly becomes far more focused in my mind - referrals suddenly seem easier to find. It might be that there is something in their Bio that gets my attention (makes a connection with me), or that by having more time they are able to explain something about their business that wasn't really clear to me before.

However, all this good work can be undone in a second. It gets to the Door Prize and when asked if they have one, the answer is 'Oh. No - I forgot.'

From my point of view, in that moment the whole 10-minute is wasted!

Anyone can get up and say anything about their business and we trust, until we have proof, that it is true. But, for that moment it is just words. On the other hand a Door Prize is proof of what you think of your fellow members and how professional you are. A member has six weeks to find a door prize - six weeks to think of something that says something great about them - six weeks to wrap it nicely.

Please don't ruin a good (maybe great) 10-miunte presentation because you couldn't be bothered to get a Door Prize. It says a great deal more about you and your company than you may think.

Note: Chapter Directors please may I suggest that you check with your 10-minute speaker as soon as they arrive that they have a Door Prize.

No comments: