Monday 21 November 2011

A sad day!

21/11/11

A chapter closed in my region this week. At the last meeting ten members were present, two substitutes, one visitor, and only a hand-full of referrals were passed. It couldn’t go on!

They had been trying to escape for months what now had always seemed inevitable because, put simply, not enough eligible visitors had attended their meetings. Not every member had done their part. For a chapter to grow it must have, on average, at least three eligible visitors every week. Every week - not every so often.

There had been a Chapter Development workshop the month before they closed: only three members attended. To most of the members it just wasn’t important enough. Some of the members had tried really hard to find visitors and I feel sorry for them. But it wasn’t the last few weeks that did the damage, it was the months before. Most members just didn’t invite often enough.

The saddest thing was a comment by one of the members. They said that growing chapters was just about making BNI more money. I guess that says it all! Growing chapters has nothing to do with making money for BNI (obviously they make money if chapters are larger but then that’s their business). It’s all about making more money for its members.

This chapter passed about ten referrals a week, another local chapter with 31 members passed 46 referrals that same week. Do you think they care that BNI are making money?

So, if you have a zero for visitors against your name on your chapter's PALMS Report, please invite someone this week, and next week, and the week after that. Because it is a very sad day when a chapter has to close!

3 comments:

snappist said...

As CD of the 'the other local chapter' referred to, Id like to endorse Davids sentiments. Back in April we were just 20 strong and keenly aware that losing even 1 member could start a downward spiral and would make recruiting new members much more difficult.

We too had mutterings along the same lines "its all just to make money for BNI" Pointing out that while BNI may take £500 ish per year per member, that one month a single member of the chapter brought in £17000 in business, helped quash them.

Now at 30 + members meetings practically sell themselves to visitors, of whom 5, 6, or 7 is not unusual, and as David says, no one now gives a hoot that BNI takes money from us to facilitate this.

Phill Tait said...

David that is sad. A Chapter is a team and unless every player pulls their weight this can happen Being a member is not just about 1 1/2 hours in a meeting its about putting in a good deal of effort during the week too

Paul Smith said...

It was indeed a sad day & being one of its newest members, also very bewildering too.

Having only joined Business Class some six weeks before, I was still getting to understand BNI & how it worked.

I was warmly welcomed by all members & even received a few inquiries, which was a bonus.

It was therefore very sad to be confronted by this scenario.

Although my time at "BC" was short, I did learn some valuable points, which I am trying to integrate in my business & how I deal with people.

The ideas of interacting with people & getting up to speak in front of others, was totally alien to me & one I shied away from, owing to a speech impediment.

During my first week at the chapter, a fellow member asked if I would do a sub for another member in a different club. To my "horror", I heard myself say yes, which was probably the best thing I ever did, as it did wonders for my self-confidence.

I will fondly remember my time at "BC", as I believe it was a turning point in my life. I am more confident now in doing things, will go out & actively seek business & I no longer fear my speech impediment.

In my first few weeks, I worried about getting referrals & visitors, but David reassured me that time would help.

When I joined Tudor, two weeks ago, I went in with three referrals for members, followed last week with two more.

This week, I did a sub for an ill member at BNI Sutton & at my next meeting at Tudor, will be offering a testimonial for a new member who has done work for me.

All of this comes as a direct result of Business Class, its members and David's Directorship.

So, as a new-be to BNI, you can see the effect it has had on me.

Well done David. Even if it wasn't so obvious before, I appreciate all your efforts.

Out of something sad, comes something good.

Good luck with your endeavors and here's to a brighter future!