Monday 16 February 2015

How to really say thank you for a referral!

Something I’ve written about before is how little thanks some members give for the referrals they receive. It’s almost as if they think it’s their right, that’s what BNI and being part of a chapter is all about, so why would they have to put any effort into thanking another member for a referral they are given.

Well, if for no other reason than it’s just polite; a smile and a warm hand-shake is the least that anyone can expect, surely? But how about an email after the meeting, or a phone call, or even a card in the post, thanking the person concerned and letting them know how much you appreciate their efforts?

After all, isn’t it about building great relationships with your referral partners and even maybe giving them the incentive to find you another referral? Certainly, if I have worked hard to find someone a referral and all I get in return is a muffled thank you, I’m not inclined to put myself out again for that person.

And that’s what made what happened at the Isis Chapter in Ealing last week. So great! During the 60 Second round, Yaro Kowalczyk of Compcontrol IT, asked another member to stand, Raj Sohal of Archer Bond Property Investment. It seems that Raj was rather surprised to be asked to stand but not as shocked as he was when Yaro presented him with a free iPad.

Yaro Kowalczyk of Compcontrol presenting iPad to Raj Sohal

The reason? Raj had given Yaro his dream referral and he wanted to let Raj know just how much he appreciated his efforts.

Now I don’t know about you, but with a thank you like that I would be looking for another similar referral for Compcontrol and not just in the hope that I might be lucky enough get another iPad, but because I knew just how much it had meant to the person.


Now I not suggesting that you rush out and add to Apple’s profits, but I am suggesting that you think about the amount of thanks you give to the members that find you referrals. Because you just never know what it might do to your relationships with the people concerned.

No comments: