Monday 29 December 2008

Twenty Business Cards

29/12/08

I failed!

For a recent Regional Director training event we were asked to bring along the business cards of our top twenty business contacts. But, as I didn’t know who was going to attend the workshop I decided that I wouldn’t. After all, you have to know, like, and trust people before you share your most important contacts with them.

But it was a test: a request to prove a point. And, I failed.

I was attending a workshop, held by my Area Director, and attended by other Regional Directors. Whilst I may have not known them all, they were all my equal - all good BNI members. And yet, I would not even risk taking a pocket full of my contacts' business cards with me to the training.

Now, what did this prove?

Well, as members we expect new members, in fact all members, to share their contacts with us. But, why should they if we have made no effort to get to know them? If, we have given them no reason to like us or trust us.

As members we spend a great deal of time telling our fellow members what we do and how they can best find us referrals. But, how much time do we spend giving our fellow members good reasons as to why they should share their best contacts with us?

It is often said that people buy from people. Well, members refer to people. Are you giving your fellow chapter members a good reason to find you referrals?

No comments: