Saturday 11 December 2010

Do you wear your BNI ribbons?

11/12/10

BNI ribbons - you know the ones I mean: Leadership Team, Visitor Host, Membership Committee, Education Co-ordinator, Ambassador, 7 Year Member, etc.

Well, I was making a chapter visit recently and updating the ribbons for the years of membership of the members in the group. For one member I had a six year ribbon and I noticed that as I approached them they didn’t already have a five year ribbon. So, I was feeling pretty good about being able to give them their ribbon. But, when I did, I was rather shocked because they said they didn’t want it - they didn’t wear ribbons!

I almost told them that’s not an option (but I guess it is), so instead asked why. And, their answer worried me, as the benefits of wearing the year ribbon it seemed had not been explained: the member thought there was no point and that they were silly!

I guess with the Leadership Team ribbons and the others of that type their function is obvious, but I suppose with the year ribbons their purpose is not so clear.

In short, the year ribbons are all about credibility: both the member’s and BNI’s. Think what it says about you if you wear a 6 year ribbon. Firstly, that you have been a member of your chapter for six years: five years running your chapter have been happy to renew you. It also shows that you have been in business for at least six years. And, if the ribbon is attached to a blue Notable Networker badge, what does that say? All of these things help to build your credibility, your reputation. Surely no chapter would renew your membership if you were rubbish at your job? And, what does that mean? Yes, more business!

Then there is the credibility of BNI, or, more importantly, your chapter. When visitors come to our chapters we want them to buy into them, to join us. So, what does it say about our chapter if we have members who have been in the group for six years, ten years, twelve years even? It says that BNI is a serious business. That these people really believe in what they are doing, that they believe in each other. And, again, what does that mean? Yes, you’ve got it, more business.

So, please wear your ribbons because it just makes good business sense!

2 comments:

Naheed Hanif said...

Hello David - Thanks for the blog.
I must however ask:
Firstly: who's job is it exactly to explain the benefits of wearing a ribbon?
The person you mention to whom you wished to present the 6 year ribbon has obviously been a member for a long time, carried out every role in the Chapter and been CD more than once. Yet you have concluded that the "benefits of wearing the year ribbon had not been explained".
It begs the questions – what is missing in the process and when? (Who should be explaining the benefits? Why did this person not know the benefits?)
And finally on that point: Did you take that opportunity to explain the benefits or is this something that someone else is responsible for? – it should be made known to them.
Secondly: If a member with a great track record of the kind this person has, chooses not to accept/wear the ribbon - might there be another reason for the reaction? I mean: should the person be aware of the benefits & still choose not to wear the ribbon – what action would you recommend? Or indeed, what conclusion would you draw from this?
Thanks

David Wimblett said...

Hi Naheed,
You make some good points. I'm not sure what the official answer is but I would say your BNI Director and maybe that the benefits should be covered at Member Success Training. I also think it would make a great Education Slot.

In answer to your second point, I would arrange a One2One and see what the reason was.

David