Wednesday 29 December 2010

Who can I help this week?

29/12/10

I think many members find it hard to find referrals because they are trying to find referrals. We have all heard things like: ‘I need to find a referral this week’, ‘I would love to get this particular member a referral’, ‘where do you find referrals?’,’ ‘I’m not good at finding referrals’. I’ve even said it myself!

Now I know that’s not what’s really meant, but I believe that some members make finding referrals harder than it need be, because they are actually looking for referrals. After all, that’s what we give and hope to be given.

But, how about changing the way that we think? Instead of looking for referrals, look for people to help. Who do you know that would be helped if you recommended one of your fellow members? Referrals are all about helping people: friends and business contacts that have a problem or need something.

Most of us, I’m sure, have helped a friend whose car battery is flat, by exhausting ourselves pushing their car up and down the road to get it started! And, referrals are just the same, we are helping our friends that are in need.

So, how about in future looking for people that you can help and forget about looking for referrals? Whenever you see someone with a problem or someone looking for something, just try saying ‘Would you like help with that?’.

I really believe that by changing the way you think about referrals that you will see a remarkable increase in the number of referrals you find!

2 comments:

wieb said...

Really good points. I think you Just need to remember to listen for opportunities for your other chapter members as you're out and about. Referrals should be natural and genuine. It isn't something that can be forced.

Unknown said...

Powerful concept Dave. thanks so much for sharing.