Saturday 14 May 2011

I didn’t join BNI to help grow the chapter!

14/5/11

I heard of a member who left his chapter last week because he was asked to help the chapter in bringing visitors to the group. He said that he didn’t join BNI to help grow the chapter. I have to say that I wasn’t surprised to hear this, knowing the member concerned, but I did wonder how he ever became a member in the first place.

Question 7 on the BNI application form asks: ‘What is your ability to bring qualified referrals and/or visitors to the chapter?’ I would love to know what his answer was.

But what did surprise me was some of his other comments. One was that he only joined so that other members could give an easy referral! Can you believe that?

Another was that he didn’t get enough business. He actually received more referrals than any other member of the group and yet he wasn’t prepared to help grow the chapter so that he would get more. Truly unbelievable!

But, it was his last comment that really stunned me. In fact I really can’t believe he said it. And, if it should happen, I hope that whatever chapter committee it is acts as I’m sure you will think it should, as he finished by stating …

“I’ll think about re-joining when the chapter is bigger.”

I was speechless!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dinah, there are some people that don't get it. Apart from his attitude (so far removed from givers gain as it is possible to get), this member is also very bad at maths.
The one positive in all this, he has resigned, gone of his own volition! I am sure the other members of the chapter will come up with a more worthy replacement for his category.