Thursday 26 May 2011

Not giving the best signals!

26/5/11

I visited a chapter recently and became aware of a member not giving out the best of signals. Anyone can have an off moment but, as with all things, with repetition you notice things; that’s why marketing and branding works. And I guess you could say this was personal marketing and branding. Only of the negative kind!

The first thing I noticed was that the member spent a lot of time texting, not paying any attention to what was going on in the meeting. Then, when they did their 60 Seconds, they had one hand in a pocket and it sounded like they were ‘winging it’. No preparation. Most of the remainder of the meeting they just looked plain bored. Finally they had no contribution.

On the whole not a great advert for someone I would want to work with!

Now, I don’t know anything about the person concerned. They may have been feeling ill, have major problems at home or at work, or just crashed their car. Maybe they are just like the impression they gave me and everyone else in the room. I don’t know.

But, what I do know is this and it is really important. If you are going to maximise your referral potential, however you are feeling, you must take part fully in your BNI meetings. As, if even only a few people notice that you are not giving the best signals, it will affect your referral rate.

So, please always give your fellow chapter members the courtesy that they deserve and that they hopefully give you.

The result will be more referral opportunities.

No comments: