Tuesday 5 March 2013

Do you still deserve your Blue Badge?


5/3/2013

I love the Blue Badge – Notable Networker – when it’s given for the correct reasons but it has crossed my mind on occasion that it should come with a time limit.  You hold the badge for, say, one year.

Well recently, I visited a chapter where that is exactly what happens; a member only gets to keep their blue badge for a set amount of time.  And I have to say that I think it’s a good idea.

Let me tell you why.  I don’t think a Blue Badge (or for that matter a Black - Gold Club - Badge) is like an Olympic Gold Medal.  Olympic medals come with a date; like 2012.  Everyone knows that Mo Farah was Olympic Champion in 2012 and at no other time.  Whereas a Blue Badge awarded years ago says that the person wearing it is a Notable Networker today and yet it’s possible that they may have only been ‘notable’ that one time.

Now maybe I’m being a little harsh but, if you are wearing a Blue Badge, are you happy that you still deserve to be wearing it?  For example, are you a Green Member?  Thinking about it, maybe there shouldn’t be a time limit on having a Blue Badge. Instead, if you become a Red Member you have to hand your badge back.

What do you think?

No comments: