Friday 4 July 2008

Sharp intake of breath!

4/7/08

Have you ever been at a meeting where a visitor gets up to do their 60 seconds and as soon as they mention what they do, there is a sharp intake of breath around the room?

The visitor clashes with one of the members of the chapter and that member is looking like thunder!
I’ve witnessed this, I’ve even witnessed a similar reaction when a clash has been discovered at the sign-in table (this was followed with a great deal of rushing about the room by the member concerned telling everybody that would listen that the visitor couldn’t speak).

But what I’ve never understood is why these members get so upset.

If it happened to me - I would of course have a quiet word with the member who had invited the visitor after the meeting and find out why they thought that there wasn’t a clash. But that’s about it.

Now you might be thinking that I’m mad – but think about it for a minute.

I’ve been a member of my chapter for five years, I have good relationship with most of the members, some of the members are good friends of mine, and my company Imperial Printers I believe is well respected.

Is it really likely that if another printer got up and did a 60 seconds that all the members of the chapter would suddenly flood that person with referrals?

I don’t think I really need to answer that question – but if it ever happens to you, don’t worry about it, be calm and polite, after all however good they may turn out to be, they can’t come back a second week!

No comments: