Saturday 31 July 2010

I don’t know anybody!

31/7/10

A phrase I often hear from members when asked about inviting visitors or finding referrals is ‘I don’t know anyone’ or ‘I never see anyone; I work on my own’.

I have to say this not only worries me but that also, more importantly, I don’t believe it.

It worries me because all of us completed an application form to join our chapters and question 7 on the application form asks: What is your ability to bring qualified referrals and/or visitors to the chapter? Every one of us has entered an answer: member of golf club, chamber, Rotary, choir, PTA, or maybe a large customer base, many years in business and much more. And, if we didn’t, why were we accepted by the chapter’s membership committee?

So, really we must all know lots of people. Therefore, this brings me to the conclusion that members do in fact know a great many people (I don’t believe that they don’t), it’s just that they don’t realise it!


So, how about running a little test? It will take you no more than 15 minutes. Make a list of all the groups that you are connected with, for example: mobile phone contacts, email address book, family, friends, business contacts, suppliers, customers, chamber, church, sports clubs, choir, PTA, band, pub, LinkedIn, Facebook, university, boat club – list them all. Then list the first five people from each group that just pop into your mind; I bet it will be more like 10 names in every case!

Finally, add up how many names you have. I really would be surprised if it were less than one hundred.

Now, in front of you, is a database personal only to you: a list of people, not only to invite to your chapter but who are also a rich source of referrals.

These people are your best contacts – please never say that you don’t know anyone ever again.

But, better still, make a difference at your chapter.

No comments: