Wednesday 14 July 2010

You don’t have to be terrific but it helps to be specific!

14/7/10

I heard this memory hook recently at a BNI directors meeting and I have to say that, not only is it clever, but it is also true. In fact, just this last week the point was really hammered home to me.

The web designer in my group, who himself has a great memory hook, ‘This is my business card, it may not build you a website, but it will start a conversation’, always presents a clear and concise 60 Seconds. He more often than not asks for a company that he would like to be introduced to. I have had a One2One with him, and seen his 10 Minute. So, I pretty much know what he does. I like him and he is very credible; his company has built some fantastic web sites.

And yet I still missed a referral opportunity for him! Last week he asked for a company by name. I knew them, they are a contact of mine, so I phoned my friend and asked if they would take his call. They said they would have loved to but unfortunately they had their website redesigned just six months ago. I was gutted!

Now being specific didn’t work out this time, the luck of timing, but by being specific I was given something I could follow up on easily and so did. I had never before given this contact any thought and I hate to think of the number of referral opportunities that pass us by because we aren’t given something positive to look for.

So, be as specific as you can when asking for referrals. It will, (timing aside), make a big difference to the number and quality of the referrals you receive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree and its so much easier to know WHO a member is look for after a good One2One

Anonymous said...

I think this is so true, it may be that you may not know that specific company but a business like it and have never thought that they would work well together.

It really helps to be specific and timing does help, our utilities company in our chapter (tony o'connell from Richmond energy and telecoms) asked for charities and I happen to know someone in the shooting star hospice. I emailed him and told him all about tony, but was gutted to hear that they had just had their utilities done!

All about the timing!