Monday 11 February 2008

Show me the Money!

11/2/08

There are many reasons for joining BNI, but top of the list has to be more business. That’s how you really know when things are working, when that cheque hits your bank account.

So it surprises me that so many members seem reluctant to use the ‘Show me the Money’ box. Maybe it’s the name, as I think ‘Thank you for the Business’ would be better, or maybe it’s just that people don’t really know what it is for.

A member said to me last week that when the box first came round he thought it was some kind of collection box and you had to put money in it – like an extra collection at church. Again I suppose this has to be down to bad explanation or understanding. Either way it’s a loss for the chapter.

The box really needs to be used to the maximum, as it’s not only like a testimonial to BNI, but more important proof of how well your chapter is working for everyone. Not only is it a visible way of saying ‘thank you’ for referrals, but it also puts a value on the business being done in your group. Imagine if the Membership Co-ordinator opens the box at the end of the month and announces that there are thank yous in the box totalling over £50k. What will that say to you? And if there are visitors in the room? Well if it were me, I’d want to join on the spot!


So next time that box is passed to you at breakfast, don’t reach for a £1 in your pocket, take a card and thank a member for that referral they gave you that changed into real business.

No comments: