Sunday 24 February 2008

Trouble getting to training?

24/2/08

The statistics show that the most successful chapters have a higher level of attendance at the BNI workshops, and yet it can still be difficult to motivate some members to attend.

The reasons seem to be many and varied, ranging from; 'I'm too busy', 'The workshops are too far away', 'The time is difficult to make', 'I've been before' (two years ago), 'I get better training at work', to 'Why would I want to learn BNI stuff?' and just plain apathy.

Frankly, most of the reasons are just excuses, since if you really want to do something you make the time. 'I've been before', well, in my book that doesn't stand up either, as taken to its logical conclusion why would you ever do anything more than once? I've been to most of the BNI workshops at least once (Member Success three or four times) and each time I go there is something new I pick up. Sometimes it's just a sentence that makes it worth while and of course each time I go there are new members to network with.

'I get better training at work' – when I heard that one, I nearly .......... well let's just say I wasn't amused! I could write for the next hour what I think about that remark but all I will say is that I would be surprised. I don't care what company you work for, BNI have some of the best trainers around and I will except that you don't get Dr. Ivan Misner every workshop or for that matter Andy Bounds, author of the best selling book the Jelly Effect, but you do get part of an excellent team. And even if you do believe that your training is better, how about going along because you are part of a team?

And, 'Why would I want to learn that BNI stuff, it's just for BNI, right?' No, no it isn't! Presentation Skills, one of the BNI workshops, not worth it?! Are you really trying to tell me you only present yourself at BNI? What about at your next business meeting, when you are asked to give a speech at your best mate's wedding, or like me when for the first time I stood up in front of forty actors and told them how I was going to produce their show. Presentation skills are for every aspect of your life, not just at BNI. The same is true of the other workshops. So please attend them all. Not only will your chapter benefit, but so will you.

Apathy – this is a hard one to fight and many suggestions have been made to overcome it. Some chapters just announce the workshops, others send round a list for members to tick the workshops they want to attend, some groups give each member a training schedule and ask them to mark off workshops and hand the schedule back, I know of a chapter that tried booking every member on to a workshop and then told the members to cancel if they couldn't go – I'm not sure myself that that's a great idea, as for BNI to get a block booking and then have people slowly cancel must be a real pain.

However, an idea that I heard about this week and one that is working to good effect, is where the Membership Co-ordinator just rings each member up and asks them if they want to attend the next workshop - yes or no and then books them in. It's that simple and is having incredible results.

So if your chapter could benefit from some more training, why not try just picking up the phone?

No comments: