Friday 19 November 2010

What do you do with mail not addressed to you?

19/11/10

Well, if you are anything like me, you either put it in the bin, leave it for someone else to open, or put it at the bottom of the pile to open later.

Why? Because not much very good ever comes in a window envelope, an envelope with a label on it, an envelope where the address has been mail merged or in a manila envelope. And, I bet I’m not the only one who thinks like this. You go for the nice hand-written envelopes first because we know that they are either private letters or cheques – something we want.

So, why is it that when inviting people to our chapters by letter, some members, despite being advised of the benefits of hand writing addresses, still insist on using labels or window envelopes?
And, very often, to add insult to injury, don’t even use a person’s name.

What’s the point? It’s a complete waste of time!

Often these members cite a lack of time as to why they don’t follow the suggested guidelines, or just bad handwriting. Now bad writing I am just about willing to accept but, even then, I’m sure most of us can find someone that will write a few addresses for us. Even, dare I suggest, another member of our group.

But, the excuse of no time, I’m not willing to accept. Why? Because I tried an experiment. Even with everything I needed in my office: labels, envelopes, etc., it took me longer to load them in my printer, set up a template and print them, than it did to hand write 20 addresses on 20 envelopes. And, even if it had taken twice as long, I would still handwrite them because I know that upon receiving that envelope I would open it.

So, why do some members still avoid handwriting envelopes when they are wasting everyone’s time including their own?

I can think of one reason, but it’s not very nice!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Guerilla marketing springs to mind, this was the mentioned in a recent training course I attended through the HomeXperts Franchise. They also suggested using different colours pens to write addresses.